Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Vegetative State

The past couple of weeks have been a flurry of activity and emotional trauma. I dealt with it by doing hard, mind-numbing work like shampooing carpets and completely cleaning out, washing and rearranging all of my kitchen cabinets. (I'll have you know our vitamins are now alphabetized). It's been a busy fall, and I think everything finally hit me last night. I made enchiladas (using venison, mind you!) and then sat down to read a book while they were in the oven. I ended up falling asleep, but fortunately the boys know what the timer on the oven means and they rescued dinner before it burned.
I slept on the couch until a little after 8:00. When I woke up, the only thing I could contemplate was whether or not it was too early to go to bed. Since most of the enchiladas were gone, I fixed myself a sandwich and then curled up in bed to watch a movie. My husband was in the living room while I was sleeping, and then he came upstairs with me, but he was mostly reading and studying for the Wednesday night Bible study.
It occurred to me as I turned out the light that I had vegetated for the entire evening. I started to say I had lived as a carrot, but then I thought, given my hair's tendency to curl up and stick out, maybe I more resembled broccoli. As for my husband? I think he resembled a rutabaga for no other reason than the fact that I like saying rutabaga. My husband gave me the tolerant smile he usually gives when I make no sense and then kissed me good night.
I like having vegetable night. Next time I might be a cauliflower. My thought-provoking question for you is this: if you were a vegetable, which one would you be?

2 comments:

  1. Ya know, sometimes I "crash" like that.... all the hustle and bustle finally catches up with us Moms!

    Hope you have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You deserve a vegetable night. I've been thinking about you and wondering how you're doing. I know this can't be an easy time, especially tomorrow. Blessings, Jill.

    ReplyDelete

Well don't just stand there! Say something! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails