Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Weight of Woe

Several of you noticed that I didn't participate in the Random Dozen this week (actually, I guess this week it was the Random Eleven), and I just can't tell you how much I appreciate being missed! I didn't join in because I wanted to post about something else, but then life intervened and I didn't get to post about anything at all. So today you're going to get yesterday's post which may also turn into tomorrow's post because I tend to get long winded like that.

See, it all started because I'm under a doctor's care. Now doesn't that sound ominous. Except it really isn't. The only thing is, I haven't been under a doctor's care since I last gave birth. That was almost eleven years ago, and I have no plans of needing a doctor again for labor and delivery any time soon. Or any time at all for that matter. And I certainly don't think I would have needed a doctor now if it weren't for the fact that my oldest son thinks he needs to get married.

Actually it all started, really, because my husband needed major surgery. Among the many doctors he saw during his medical odyssey was a family physician that he liked. So once he finished accumulating medical bills, he decided I needed to see this doctor for my needs.

Oh goody.

My needs are basically two. My blood sugar levels, which I like to believe I keep under control. That's not always true, but I like to believe it anyway. And my weight which is never under control and I just don't like to think about it at all. See, I never had weight problems until my husband and children came into my life. So isn't it their fault I gained weight? Why should I have to be the one to suffer in trying to get rid of it?

Weight is one of the reasons I avoid going to the doctor. It's demeaning to have someone else weigh you. I always wonder if they honestly underestimate your weight or if they're just being kind when they don't move the 50 lb weight over far enough on the scale. And then I wonder if I should say something, or just reach over and move it myself. Today's digital scales are no better. Especially if I look down and I can't even see them. That's never a good sign. And all of this before I ever even see the doctor? Especially if I'm feeling physically well in the first place, why would I want to put myself through all that?

So for the last eleven years, or since I stopped bearing children, I have tried on my own almost every diet there is with limited (re: no) success. I had a 10 pound weight loss here or there, followed inevitably by a 10 pound gain. I think it was a combination of not having enough discipline, not finding a diet I could live with, and not having the motivation.

My oldest son finally took care of the motivation part. It seems he has begun to care very deeply for his girlfriend and their relationship has turned serious. He has informed me that there can and probably will be a wedding in the future. The thought of a multitude of wedding photos and wedding finery has at last given me a goal because, of course, a wedding is always about the mother-in-law.

On a side note, I am thrilled for them, and I love his girlfriend. I am not so sure about this pushing me into the next phase of my life, and I'm not at all sure I'm ready to be a mother-in-law. (And if anyone says the "G" word, please consider yourself cyber-slapped!) At the moment I am respecting the couple's privacy, but as their plans become official, there will be much blog conversation on these topics, I can assure you!

So with the inevitable marriage handwriting on the wall, I agreed to go see the doctor. In this case, I had to download forms, fill them out and send them in, then wait for the office to call and set up an appointment. That was find with me, as I was in no hurry. After all, my husband needed surgery, and it still took them a month to call with an appointment. Maybe I'd lose a few pounds before I actually had to go see the doctor.

Of course they called within the week. (Stay with me. I really do have a point in these posts!) To follow up on the doctor's visit (get it?) click here.

2 comments:

  1. First, congrats to your son and congrats to your family for all this excitement!

    I hate going to the doctor. HATE it. I always hate getting weighed. The number looks much more horrific in someone else's presence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate going to the doctor too and mostly for the same reasons as you!

    Congrats to your son and his girlfriend and I'll be back to read the rest.

    ReplyDelete

Well don't just stand there! Say something! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails