Thursday, May 14, 2009

Redeeming The Time

This coming Saturday our church is having our annual Mother-Daughter Luncheon. Our theme is "Redeeming the Time". Each table will represent a different time period in life and different ladies are decorating them. We have a baby table, and an adolescent table. A teen table, wedding table, senior citizen table. You get the idea. I've written two skits that will be done that day. The first one is titled "Blondes". It's two teenage girls who happen to come across each other. They have an entire conversation, including an argument, without ever finishing a sentence. The second skit is two ladies in our church who will be giving time-saving techniques. They end up trying to compete with each other for the best ideas and get carried away, recommending things like dressing your kids on Saturday night before they go to bed so that they're ready for church when they get up in the morning.
Two of our ladies are planning an awesome meal. To their husbands' delight, they've been experimenting with different recipe ideas for the past couple of months.
I'm the speaker at this event. I don't mind because I'm one of those weird people that actually likes public speaking. I'm speaking on the theme, and I'm focusing on the fact that there are different times in your life. For instance, early in "mommyhood", your life may limit your ability in certain areas of service. I ended up stepping out of children's church work when we were in Uganda. There was no nursery, and I was teaching with a four month old strapped to my chest and a two-year-old playing in the dirt at my feet. No one was listening to the lesson.
Now it's nine years later, and I'm teaching in our children's program on Wednesday nights.
I want this to be a time of encouagement to keep on serving, but also a time where we contemplate what we should be spending our time on in whatever part of life we are currently in. (I realize that, grammatically, that sentence stunk. Bear with me.) I want the younger females, particularly teenagers, to realize that their life is not all fun and playing until they suddenly become an adult. The first twenty years of your life is training for being the adult you will be for the next sixty or so years of life. Don't waste the training period.
Anyway, I don't know how clear this post is, but if you have any ideas or tips for redeeming the time in your life--or in someone else's--leave a comment and let me know.
I'll be posting pictures of our luncheon on the blog next week. Thanks for the help!

2 comments:

  1. no tips here but I would love to read others.

    Sounds great, I am sure it will be a blessing to everyone there.

    You need to put here the blond conversation, I am sure it will be funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad to say, but I feel that the time I am now able to spend with some of my grandchildren is an opportunity to redeem the time I did not take advantage of with my own children when they were young. I guess life experience allows us to relate to our grandchildren in a different way. I have their ear and, thankfully, they come to me for advise and even share feelings it is hard to discuss with their parents. Everyone needs a confidant and I am blessed to be counted as one.

    ReplyDelete

Well don't just stand there! Say something! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails