Monday, November 8, 2010

Everything's A Homeschool Lesson

If you've ever been a homeschool mom, or if you've ever talked to one, you might have realized that anything and everything can be turned into a lesson. A burnt out light bulb takes on whole new meaning as the homeschooled kids need to use their deductive reasoning skills to determine where an extra lightbulb might be stored in the house. This exercise would be followed by a trip to the library in order to research the history of the lightbulb, followed by a brief stop at Walmart where you pick up lightbulbs and some craft items in order to do a science project/display using the facts the kids gleaned at the library. A short math lesson as you make change at the register, and then you're done for the day.

That would be some homeschool moms. I don't usually fall into that category. Although I try to find the lessons in life to share with my children, for the most part I stick with the curriculum. However, recently the boys got an unexpected biology lesson from life.

Our kittens, Drizzle and Dex, have turned six months old. It was time to get them spayed and neutered, respectively, and I had Joel and Paul go with me to help take them to the vet. The vet assistant was giving the cats an initial exam, and she decided to start with taking their temperature. In went the thermometer, Drizzle's eyes bulged, and she nearly took a dive off the examining table. I grabbed her and held her down, but apparently just a near proximity to the invasion of privacy made Dex nervous. His eyes bulged too, and he also tried to dive off the table.

"Hold her, Joel," I ordered. When he didn't move, I glanced over and saw him staring in horror at the thermometer sticking out of Drizzle.

"Paul, can you get Dex?" But when I turned to him, his eyes were also bulging at the sight before him.

I think it took the boys longer to recuperate than it did the cats. It didn't help when I informed them later that doctors used to take babies' temperatures the same way. Once again their eyes bulged and they stared at me in horror. "Mom, you didn't ever--"

I assured them that rectal temperatures were old school. Doctors now take temperatures with a scan across the forehead or in the ear.

"In my ear?" I could read Joel's expression. He was envisioning sticking a regular thermometer all the way into the ear. So then I went into an explanation of the thermometer used to take temperatures through the ear. Hey, look at me! I'm a homeschool mom! Whaddya know.

I found it a little harder to explain why Drizzle's surgery required staples and Dex's didn't. Back to the curriculum, I guess.



4 comments:

  1. So glad to see you back! I still remember visiting my grandparents farm and my sister running in exclaiming Frisky the cat had two heads. She was having kittens. We got us some biology on the farm : )

    I'm going to start a Wed random, similar to what we were doing at Lids but I'm changing it up a little. I'll have details tomorrow on my blog (I hope) so check it out if you want to play along on Wed. I always enjoy your sense of humor.

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So neither boy has aspirations of becoming a Veterinarian then. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny. My husband and I recently got on the subject of doctors when we were kids. You know, back in the days when all shots were given in your bottom and they always took rectal temperatures. The kids were horrified. They just don't realize how cushy they have it!

    -FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm new to your blog and this post was a hilarious introduction!! :D

    My boys, ages 11 and 6, had the same experience the first time they saw our new puppy have it's temperature taken. There was the mention of the fact that that's how they used to take a baby's temp. Then there was also the enormous amount of reassurance that no, that didn't happen to them and no, I can't imagine them ever being in danger of that particular occurrence, lol.

    Great post! Thanks for sharing! :)

    Katie
    Homeschooling in Florida

    ReplyDelete

Well don't just stand there! Say something! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails