Friday, January 8, 2010

'Splain It To Me

So the entire nation is in the grip of cold temperatures. The warmest spots in our country--California, Florida, Texas--are in the low fifties today.

Here in central Florida, people have been discussing the weather for almost a week. We've turned on the heat in our homes. We quit wearing flip-flops. Some of us have actually worn coats! (Those of you in sub-zero temperatures, quit complaining! I have a point!)

Yesterday I went into one of those little shipping stores. The clerk was very friendly, and as she weighed my package, this is how our conversation went:

She: "It is just cold out today!"

Me: "I know. They're even predicting possible 'winter precipitation' by the weekend." (I'm not sure the weather people know the term for snow down here.)

She: "Makes you think. This global warming thing ..."

Me: "I know!"

She: "The whole country's turning blue. That Al Gore really was on to something. I mean, now we know there's got to be something to this global warming thing, right?"

Huh?

Somebody piece this together for me, please. The entire country's freezing. It's snowing everywhere, including in Florida. So that proves global warming?

Adolph Hitler once said, "If you tell a lie loud enough and long enough, people will believe it".

Obviously.

6 comments:

  1. Love the cartoon, Jill!

    I need sunglasses to look out my window. Otherwise my retinas will be scarred from snow blindness...boy, is it ever white out there! Gorgeous, but oh so cold.

    I'm flying into Orlando toward the end of February for a writers retreat so I'm hoping those Florida temps start climbing. I'm hoping for sun, short sleeves, and sandals!! I don't want to wear my wool coat on the plane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm coming to Florida in April and it best be warmer by then! I'm taking my mom to the Living Proof event in the Tampa area.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL at the cartoon!

    I don't get how people can still be in support of global warming, especially with all the freezing temps AND the reports of deliberate inaccuracies in Gore's work.

    Our weatherman said this morning that this week our temps are the coldest we've had in 15 years. For the next 3 days we're not breaking about 35. And last year we had snow! In New Orleans!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. Al Gore. What on earth would we do without him?!?!
    Seriously....the high here today....is 0.
    No, that's not a typo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post....sure makes you wonder doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking for a place to move that really is experiencing global warming. I haven't found that place yet.

    Slept with my gloves on last night.
    -FringeGIrl

    ReplyDelete

Well don't just stand there! Say something! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails