Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Florence Nightengale, Where Are You?

Bandaids make it all better.

Thermometers can help your temperature.

Kisses and a cool cloth for your forehead.

That kind of nursing I get. I can do that. I've done it for all my children. Soothing words, a gentle stroke of the hair and Mommy makes it all better.

Unfortunately, recovering surgery patients need a little more than that.

Equally unfortunately, I have nothing else to give.

Oh, I try. But when my husband was in the hospital, I don't think I actually made things any easier. For one thing, there's not a lot of room to move around, and I'm not a model of grace. I stepped forward to help him, and drove the bedside table literally into the side of the bed. Then when I tried to move the bedside table out of the way, it kept getting stuck on something under the bed.

Terry asked me to raise his bed a little bit. I hit the wrong button and instead of raising his head, his feet when flying up in the air.

I took his hand to help raise him up, but I caught hold of his IV instead.

I gave him a pain pill and then held his cup so he could sip through the straw. But I tipped the cup the wrong way, and he couldn't get any liquid in order to swallow the pill.

I knocked his cup over and spilled ice all over his tray. And a little on him.

As I mourned my lack of ability to a friend, she assured me that Terry would still have a quick recovery. I felt relieved until she added, "If for no other reason than self-preservation."

I think I need a bigger bandaid.

6 comments:

  1. I hope your husband isn't reading this, the laughter may hurt his back! I know you're doing fine, and I'm sure he appreciates all you are doing for him! ~ Still praying. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! I am sure he is just fine in your care! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure he appreciates you! Look at it this way-your care is a little incentive for him to hurry up and get well : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. The important thing is that you're there. :)

    I'm always wishin' for Mary Poppins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that's funny. So glad to hear that he is on the mend.
    God bless you both!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Well don't just stand there! Say something! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails