Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Vanity, Thy Name is Me

I think most people that know me would agree that I have a sense of humor. I don't just have a sense of humor, though. I can laugh at myself. After all, I've gotten into enough scrapes and situations that I'd almost have to be able to laugh at myself. And while I don't aim to be a cut-up, when life inevitable hands me a lemon, I laugh while it spills lemonade down my dress.
However, just because I often end up in embarrassing situations and laugh at them, doesn't mean I look for embarrassing situations. It's not really my most favorite part of life. But as you can see from this picture, sometimes I end up there anyway. This is Terry, my husband, and me celebrating our birthday. Not by choice.
Terry told me earlier this week that two couples from church wanted to take us out to eat, which I thought was pretty nice. We went on Thursday, the worst night for storming from Tropical Storm Fay (see yesterday's post). They took us to Kobe's Japanese Steakhouse, one of those places where the chef cooks the food in front of you and puts on a big show. I thought it was all really nice until the waitress asked if anyone at our table was having a birthday. Immediately everyone pointed at Terry and me. My birthday was the seventeenth, and his is--well, his is today, actually. Even then I didn't think too much of it until several waitress entered our little area, beating a gong and singing happy birthday. They were addressing someone at the table next to us. And they put this big striped paper hat on their head. I immediately muttered to the lady next to me, "I do not want to wear the hat." But alas. After dinner, here came the gong-ringers again. The entered and insisted on placing the hats on our heads before singing. (The gong-ringing never let up, though.) But my hair has a mind of it's own, and sometimes it has good taste too. It grabbed that hat off my head and flung it on the floor. The waitress picked it up and smashed it back on my head. My hair flung it off again. Then she picked it up and squished it down on my forehead. Hence the less-than-thrilled look on my face for this picture. The hat came off again as soon as they were through. They gave us the picture before they left. I laughed and thought that was the end of it. But noooo!
Tom, one of the men that went with us that night, does the church bulletin. Guess what picture he put in the bulletin this Sunday?!? I was horrified. I felt a little better when he cracked up and said all the other bulletins were normal. He just put the picture in mine to give me a jolt. Nice guy. I wonder when his birthday is???

1 comment:

Well don't just stand there! Say something! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails