Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Husband, My Hero


Forgive me, but there comes a time when you do need to brag on your spouse a little bit, and this is one of those times. I have an amazingly wonderful husband, and I just want to tell you about him.
I tell people that I am married to the original Indiana Jones. I say this because, not only is he good looking, but he has a great sense of adventure and a knack for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have traveled much further from my home town, and I spent some time living on the other side of the world because I'm married to a man that loves adventure.
Terry is also supportive. Not everyone sees this side of him (mostly because he can also be a steam roller), but he is very supportive. My dream is to be a published writer, and he encourages that. He's cheered me on and even pushed me a little when I needed a bit of a shove. He's also tried to adapt to my needs. My husband doesn't like reading fiction, so he's never read my work. One time I desperately needed to bounce some ideas off of someone and do a little brainstorming. Terry read my first chapter and then helped me toss ideas back and forth. The finished product was a much stronger piece of work because he was willing to put aside his own likes and help me.
Just recently an opportunity came up for me to work in an office part time. We definitely needed the extra money, but Terry didn't demand that I take the job. He freely admitted it would be a help, but then left it up to me what I wanted to do. I told him I'd be glad to take the job, but that meant I would need help homeschooling our children. There was just no way to do both. Terry agreed to take over each day when I left for work. I admit, I was a little nervous about how this would go, but he's working hard at making sure the boys are doing all their work each day and that they're done on time too. Because his schedule varies some since he's a pastor, he also has them working ahead a little bit so that if he has to take off for something, the boys won't fall behind.
Not only that, but he also makes sure they all clean the house up every day while I'm gone. Admittedly, sometimes it's a guy's level of clean as opposed to mine, but still it helps. Today the boys told me their Dad was even folding laundry and putting it away. If you know my husband at all, you know that's a true act of love!
One night he even stepped in and helped me cook dinner. Then he helped the boys clean up the kitchen afterward so I could have some time to myself. Again, this is out of his normal realm, but he's doing his best to be a help. What more could any woman want?
For all this, I can put up with the fact that his dirty clothes never make it into the hamper. I can also handle the fishing poles or snorkeling gear that are occasionally left in the living room. And the fact that he sometimes loses his keys. Hey, if he kept up with all that, he'd be perfect. Who could stand living with something like that! So here's to you, Terry. Thanks for making our twenty-two years together so great. I love you, Sweetheart!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well don't just stand there! Say something! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails