Thursday, August 6, 2009

Club Membership

I was reading my Bible the other day when I noticed an interesting phrase. John 12:35 says, Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth. I found the phrase walk while ye have the light really interesting.

In our Operation Go program, we've had twenty-eight people accept Christ so far. That's an average 4-5 people a week. Some of them seem to genuinely want a relationship with the Lord. Others of them seem to look at it like fire insurance. "I don't really want to change or be different. I just want my ticket out of hell." They're in the club, but they don't want to enjoy the benefits of membership. In John 8:12 Jesus told His disciples, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. In both verses you see an action verb. Walk. Follow. If Jesus is the light (and He is) then we are supposed to walk in Him and follow Him. Salvation is not an insurance policy. It's a life commitment. Don't get me wrong. You're saved the moment you place your faith in Jesus Christ. Your sins are forgiven and you're on your way to heaven from that moment forward.

But to truly have a relationship with Christ, it takes some effort. Look at John 12:35 again. Walk while ye have the light lest darkness come upon you. The verse here implies movement of the Light. Not that Jesus will leave you or you will lose your salvation. But the Light is moving. If you don't move with it, you're going to be swallowed up in darkness. The verse in chapter 8 promises that if we follow Him we will not be in darkness.

Now I don't know about you, but I hate the dark. Complete darkness is smothering, and I get very claustrophobic with the lights off. It doesn't matter how much space I've got around me. If it's totally dark, I can't breathe. And I find it very difficult to walk. I've stubbed more than one toe trying to navigate through a dark room. Why would you want to live your life that way? Why would you want darkness as you make your decisions in life. Why not move through life with enough Light so that you can see where you're going?

What about you? What are some ways you're making sure you're walking in the Light? What do you think walking in the Light means?


Don't forget about my giveaway! Leave a comment on this post about organization, cleaning or sympathy ... and you'll have a change to win a copy of The House That Cleans Itself. Believe me, my house was revolutionized once it read the book! : ) Your name will be entered for every comment you leave. And if you get someone else to make a comment, have them mention your name in their comment and I'll enter you again for the drawing! Winner will be announced on Thursday, August 13th.

4 comments:

  1. This post is such a blessing.

    After I got saved I left the church and the Lord for 1 year. It was the darkest time ever and I wouldn´t want to go back there ever again-

    It is so much easier walking through life letting God take the decissions for you knowing that He knows what is coming ahead.

    Btw, I tagged you :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put. Every relationship worth having is worth effort and it can be an effort some days but oh the rewards...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jill,

    It's so hard to keep our light burning brightly when the darkness of culture seems to have the goal of snuffing it out. I'm struggling as my children are getting older with what feels like an attack against holiness through the entertainment medium (movies, video games, etc.). It's so hard to be discerning and know what's appropriate for them. I use Plugged In Online for most of our entertainment choices, but even then, I wonder if sometimes I'm compromising too much. Thanks for a thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came by from The Stark Family. I saw that she tagged you in a challenge and I saw the name Boyd and had to come over.

    My maiden name is Boyd. I know there are a lot of Boyd's and I only know a few realtives with the name, but who knows.

    I enjoyed your Bible study post. Moving with the Light or we'll be left in the dark is a good way to say it. I don't enjoy stubbing my toes in the dark.

    I try to stay with the Light by doing a Bible study (every day would be best, but it seems my summer routine has changed that)going to church and a class or Bible study each week.

    I try to serve Him in any way that presents itself as a need to be fulfilled.

    Praying is always one of the best ways to keep in touch with the Light.

    Thanks for geting me thinking about it.

    I'll be back. I'm following now.

    ReplyDelete

Well don't just stand there! Say something! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails