Monday, June 14, 2010

Over Half My Life

So what makes a good marriage? Is it her smiling even after picking up his dirty socks for 24 years? Is it him smiling after a thousand mediocre meals? Is it her watching yet another hunting or fishing show? Is it him holding her while she's crying, even though neither of them know why she's crying?

Is it sharing a joke because you'll know they get it? Is it laughing for no reason at all? Is it calling because something great happened, and they're the first one you think of to share it with? 

Is it wanting to shield each other from the ugly blows of life? Is it making each burden lighter by sharing it?

I have no idea. We were little more than babies when we got married. I was nineteen and Terry was twenty-two. It wasn't always easy learning to be a married couple while we were also learning to be adults. Learning to become one when we'd always been two before.

Like any other couple, we've had our ups and downs for the past twenty-four years. But even with the downs, I don't think I would change a thing because it's our history that makes us who we are. So who are we?

Best friends. Co-laborers. A team. Two people who can do more and be more and accomplish more together than we ever could apart.
 Happy Anniversary, Indiana. You're my best friend, my confidant and the other half of me. Thanks for the best twenty-four years of my life.


7 comments:

  1. I love that you can still call your husband your best friend! It's the same here, as the years go by it just gets better and better.
    Happy Anniversary!
    I love the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the domestic fringeJune 14, 2010 at 6:24 PM

    Happy Anniversary! Love your wedding photo. You guys do really look like kids.
    -FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! Very sweet post : ) Ours is Wednesday, #26.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tribute to marriage/your husband!

    My anniversary was yesterday too! 13 years

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your 24 anniversary! Love your post and pic. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

    ReplyDelete

Well don't just stand there! Say something! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails