*Coming home from work to find my furniture rearranged. (that would be the couch moved directly in front of the TV so that they can be comfortable while they play video games.)
*Spending most of my life wondering what that smell is and
*Realizing for the one millionth time that whoever was assigned the dishes chore stopped halfway through the job.
I can do a lot of whining and complaining about these things normally, but I just read a great post by Mindee at Our Front Door about whining, so I feel a little guilty with the whole whining thing for the moment. And then I read a wonderful joint post by Joyce and Daughter 1 on From This Side of the Pond about how good it was to spend time together. Their post made me cry, and then I decided that I wanted to make a list of things that I appreciate about living in a household full of guys. These are off the top of my head, so I'm not sure if I'll come up with a Top Ten, but here it is--reasons to be grateful I'm the only female living with six males:
1. I never take out the garbage. Ever.
2. If I'm not driving, I always get shotgun.
3. There's always someone around to help me carry in the groceries. And we have a LOT of groceries.
4. I don't have a lot of cooking demands put on me. If I throw pizza sauce on it, they'll call it good.
5. A lot of nights I get to choose what we watch on TV--as long as it's not chick stuff.
6. They try their best to give encouraging comments. "Your arms aren't nearly as big as they used to be." "I like your hair poofy."
7. I'm never missing clothes, shoes or jewelry because someone wanted to borrow them. (That would be a whole other issue in itself, I think.)
8. Once in a great while I can get one of them to brush my hair for me--but I can't tell you which one because then I'd have to kill you.
9. None of them complain when I ask them to dig in my purse to find a lipstick or some mints for me while I'm driving. They just sigh and ask me if I want the Mocha Freeze or the Sheer Blush.
10. All of them are willing to give me a hug and a kiss, whether we're in public or not. Sometimes I don't even have to ask for it.
Hey, what do you know! I did come up with ten after all. And now I'm feeling pretty good about living with all my guys. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go find out where that smell is coming from.
P.S. The gangster pictures are from an old-time photo place we went to over the holidays.