Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Christmas Decoration Etiquette

Okay, is there anyone out there besides me that still has their Christmas decorations up? I love my Christmas decorations, I think our tree is gorgeous, but hello! It's mid-January already! I wanted to take them down between Christmas and New Years, but I didn't get a chance. For one thing, I was packing my daughter's stuff for college, and there just seems like something's wrong to take the decorations down before New Years. Like you're a little Scrooge or something. It feels like you just went through the motions on all the Christmas stuff, and now you need to sweep it out and move on with the next year, for pete's sake.
Our decorations are usually up for almost the entire month of December. My kids push for putting up the tree earlier every year, but I absolutely refuse to put it up until Thanksgiving is over. Then we usually put it up that weekend, or the first week of December. That's not so bad. Perfectly acceptable.
But now I still have icicle lights hanging from my roof. I don't turn them on anymore--why advertise how behind we are? But they're there. Some friends of ours have a neighbor who leaves his stuff up until February. And he still turns on his lights every night! One year my sister left her stuff up until Easter. She claimed no time. I'm not leaving mine up that long.
My problem is, I ran out of time. I left January 3rd, and was gone for over a week. I didn't have a chance to take them down and quite frankly, I didn't want to assign the job to the boys while I was gone either. I knew I'd never find my decorations next year if I did that, and what I did find would never look the same.
So I got back this past Saturday night. We had church Sunday, plus missionaries to feed for lunch and a fellowship after the evening service. Monday it was back to homeschooling and work, a quick trip to the grocery store and then our monthly Ladies' Bible study. My husband invited all the men over to the house while we were meeting elsewhere. I felt horrible that the decorations were still up, but then I realized that most of the men probably wouldn't notice anyway.
Last night I finally had a chance to catch my breath. I started taking the decorations down, but I fell asleep on the couch. So now I have half-taken-down decorations and a family room full of Christmas totes. Maybe I can get the rest down this afternoon before supper and prayer meeting. I'm really getting worried about this--Easter is looming ever closer!

1 comment:

  1. Don't feel bad, Jill. Our tree is down but our wreath is still up in the foyer. Also, the decorations that have been taken down haven't made it out to the shed yet. Of course, they never made it out to the shed LAST year!
    Catch your breath and relax. Whatever doesn't get taken down this year will already be up for next year!

    ReplyDelete

Well don't just stand there! Say something! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails