Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Longest Ten Minutes of My LIfe

Yes, I DID IT!!! Last night I colored my hair. And I have to tell you, I would have chickened out again if it weren't for the fact that I knew I had to electronically face all of you today. : ) Thanks for the encouragement. Or the nagging. Or badgering. Or ... seriously, thanks for listening to me whine and cower. I appreciate it.
I washed and dried my hair before I started--to get rid of all the "styling product build-up". I aso got a good look at my grays and realized something had to be done. I was amazed at how quickly I got the color on. Then I set the timer for ten minutes--and paced as random thoughts dashed through my head.
This stuff stinks.
My scalp is burning.
Maybe I just combed too hard.
I'm starting to itch.
Are my lips swelling?
Why do the gloves I'm using look purple?
I agonized over every possible thing that could go wrong. That took 2 minutes. Eight to go. *Sigh*
After the timer went off, I rinsed and styled my hair and studied my reflection in the mirror.

I.have.no.more.gray.hair.

It's really not that different in color, which is a good thing. I told you I'd rather lighten gradually. I do see some minor flaws. My gray at the temples is kind of a lighter brown. It's not really noticeable unless you're studying it, but I think next time I could leave the color on for five minutes more. I'm not sure how evenly I distributed the color, but since it's so close to what I already had, I don't think it's noticeable. The ultimate test came when my husband came home.

He didn't notice a thing. Good. Like I said, gradual is the key. I don't want any sudden changes.

I'd post a picture, but I didn't have anyone at home last night to take one. Anyway, it looks pretty much just like it did. I just won't be using a coloring shampoo and conditioner this morning. That's pretty nice.

BTW, I did notice one thing. My hair seemed to have more--volume when I styled it. If 80's hair comes back in, I'm so ready. In the meantime I stuck a headband in it to tame it down for a while, which worked really well.

So that's it. Still me. Just with different maintenance. I can live with this. I might even do it again in 6 weeks.

Thanks for holding my hand.

3 comments:

  1. I remember the first time I color mine with permanet color. I wanted an auburn tone really dark, just those that you can only tell in the sun. Anyhow, I asked Kristi Stark to do it for me. I was in Spain and she was visiting (it was the time when Matthew and I were dating and I was working on m paperwork). Anyway, with all the color in my head it look so read, I was suppossed to wait 20 minutes but after about 5 min I starting freaking out and started yelling at Kristi... hahahah. I wonder if she thought that bad character when nervous should be something her brother should know about. I do have to say that it turn exactly like I wanted.
    Glad it turn perfect for you. It is normal that the white hair would be lighter than the rest btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Jill! I knew that you could do it, and successfully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you finally took the plunge! (And even more glad that your lips didn't swell!!)

    ReplyDelete

Well don't just stand there! Say something! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails