Thursday, January 24, 2008

A shocking loss

An actor named Heath Ledger died this week. I happened to go online shortly after it happened, and the news was plastered across my homepage. I was shocked because I actually recognized this man. My husband and I both liked the character he played in a revolutionary war movie several years ago. I haven't seen much of anything else he's done since then because I haven't cared for the content of those particular movies, but I really liked the way his character believed in the cause of freedom in the one dvd we did watch. Isn't it strange that we would feel like we know so many people that we've never met because we see them on TV or movies? This man was only twenty-eight years old.
After I read the news article on his death, I went and told my husband. He was as shocked as I was. But then, as always, my husband brought it down to the most important point. He said, "I wonder where he is now."
That can be a scary thought for many people. I have no idea where Heath Ledger was spiritually. But I do know that the Bible says you only have two choices for the next life: heaven or hell. John 3:18 explains this. Back up a couple of verses and we read that Jesus is the only way to heaven. Romans 3:10 and 3:23 tells us that everyone has sinned. I think if we're honest just about everyone can admit that they've done something wrong at some point in their life. Rom. 6:23 tells us that the wages of sin is death and hell. Rom. 5:8 explains that Jesus paid the penalty for our sin. He died so we don't have to. According to Rom. 10:13, if we believe that and accept Christ, He will save us.
I John 5:13 tells us we can know we're going to heaven. I made the decision to accept Christ and I know where I'm going when I die. Do you?
Heath Ledger already made his decision. He had no idea that he'd run out of time to make that choice. Won't you make the right choice before it's too late?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well don't just stand there! Say something! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails