So I was out of sorts the other night. Sometimes you're out of sorts and you know it, and sometimes you're out of sorts and you don't realize it. Tuesday night I knew I was out of sorts. Which made me wonder--if everything was going well, would that mean I was in sorts?
Just the kind of thing I wonder about.
Anyway, when you are out of sorts, do you just go with the out of sort flow or do you try to get yourself back in sorts? If there is such a thing. I didn't necessarily try to get myself in sorts, but I was restless and I did try to occupy myself. If I'm out of sorts late enough, I'll just use it as an excuse to go to bed, but that doesn't really work at 7:00 in the evening.
I finally made a list of things to do when you're out of sorts. I don't know if any of these things will get you back in sorts, or just occupy your time while you're out of sorts. That's what making the list did for me. I didn't try all these things, but I might someday. If you try any of them and they help you get back in sorts, or just make you feel better about being out of sorts, let me know.
1. Throw something. (If you're way out of sorts, throw something through a plate glass window.)
2. Hit something. (If you're way out of sorts, hit someONE. But make sure they won't hit back before you throw a punch.)
3. Eat something. Chocolate always helps.
4. Watch something. TV is very good for mindless occupation. Staring blankly at the wall also helps. And is more stimulating.
5. Read something. Probably the TV Guide so you can more easily complete #4.
6. Snap at someone. This is a kind thing to do. It lets them know that you're out of sorts so that they can warn everyone else in the family that you're out of sorts and then everyone will leave you alone.
7. Clean something. This will make you feel good about yourself, but be careful. If you do this more than just once in a while, people will expect you to clean all the time. Which could lead to you being out of sorts.
8. Blog about how out of sorts you are. Then your blog readers can become out of sorts because they got so bored or annoyed reading about how out of sorts you were. Share the love.
9. Play solitaire on your computer. So many people do it that it must be good for something.
10. Exercise. This should only be done as a last resort. You get too much blood flowing and you can't relax when you crawl into bed and pull the covers over your head.
I think I'll go try some of these. Starting with the chocolate.